Sunday 8 April 2012

Negative space photography



An Atlantic Ocean view, Portugal.


A story behind: This is my new obsession: negative space photography. I am taking first steps and believe me: it is not so easy. Too often I get caught up trying to put too much inside one frame thinking that everything is interesting to the observer: people, lines, shapes, objects. I tend to over complicate things and giving an observer no space to rest his eyes. 
So I decided to go minimalistic. 
What is "negative space" in photography? It simply means the empty space around one object. First the empty space seems like a waste. In fact it plays a very important role adding importance to the subject.

This is also an example of a successful breaking the golden rule of landscape photography placing the horizon in the center of the frame.


Gear:
Nikon D700. Nikkor 16-35 mm. Polarizer. 10 ND-Stop.

Aperture:
f/20

Shutter speed:
127 sec

Exposure bias:
0 EV

Focal Length: 19 mm

ISO: 50



Place taken: Village of Nodeste, Portugal.
 

Maciek.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful... I always like your negative space photography...

    Kudos....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this image. i recently had an argument with my photography teacher about what negative space is... he maintains that it's only black space. i think otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ujval: Thank you.
    .
    @Mina: This is my first work in Negative space faaaar from perfect. I promise to get better and better.

    ReplyDelete